New and improved, XLOOKUP for Excel
News|7 October 2019
Microsoft has announced that the iconic VLOOKUP function for Excel will be replaced by XLOOKUP.
For 34 years VLOOKUP has been a staple function in Excel with many users using the mastering of it a milestone in their spreadsheeting abilities.
What is XLOOKUP?
XLOOKUP is able to look both vertically and horizontally and in its simplest form only needs three arguments to perform an exact lookup – that’s on fewer than VLOOKUP (and HLOOKUP). So the formula looks something like this:
XLOOKUP (lookup_value, lookup_array, return_array)
Advanced XLOOKUP variations
XLOOKUP also has fourth and fifth mode arguments that allow you to perform advanced lookups: match_mode and search_mode.
Why is XLOOKUP better?
1) It defaults to an exact match, which was not VLOOKUP’s default behaviour.
2) It supports column insertions and deletions, which VLOOKUP’s third argument disallowed.
3) Circumvents the need to rearrange data, with XLOOKUP you can return values from a column to the left.
4) You no longer need to reverse the order of your data to find the last occurrence.
5) Can search for the next larger item and the next smaller item.
6) Using lookup_array rather than table_array means you no longer have to reference more cells then you really need for your calculation, increasing the performance of your spreadsheets.
For more information on XLOOKUP and its full capabilities, read this useful article by ExcelJet.
Contact Grey Matter
If you have any questions or want some extra information, complete the form below and one of the team will be in touch ASAP. If you have a specific use case, please let us know and we'll help you find the right solution faster.
In today’s visually-driven world, digital literacy skills are more important than ever. Schools, colleges, and universities play a crucial role in equipping students with the tools they need to communicate, express themselves, and succeed in a workforce that increasingly depends...
Since 2023, AI has been everywhere. And many are seeing it as a great tool for improving productivity which many businesses need for improved efficiency to manage high workloads. Adobe has now developed its own AI tool, AI Assistant, currently...
Watch this webinar recording, “Beyond password protection: document security with Acrobat Pro”, hosted by our partner Adobe to learn the various ways Adobe Acrobat Pro and Microsoft can help you keep your PDFs and their sensitive information safe. In the...
With Microsoft Maps, retail businesses can obtain accurate location data, generate new insights, and optimize their logistics operations.