Bing Maps Isochrone API with Truck mode
Blog|27 March 2020
An update to the Microsoft Bing Maps Isochrone API now returns more points. The polygon areas are smoother and more precise, and a performance improvement sees larger isochrone requests return results faster than before.
Bing Maps Isochrone API use cases
The isoline polygon area can be used to filter for spatial queries, helping to visualise a wide variety of use cases:
- Store locators: Show all locations that are within 10 minutes of the user.
- Stolen vehicle recovery: The possible distance and location a vehicle may have travelled to since it was stolen.
- Real Estate: Limit search results according to the users’ preferred commute times to work, for example, “show me all homes that are within a 30-minute drive of work”
- Job search sites: List all jobs that are within a specified travel time and location when taking public transit.
- Geofence generation: Generate a polygon that be used as a geofence that alerts users when they are within a certain travel time or distance of a location.
- Field management: Show me all workers who are within a 15-minute drive of a job.
- Emergency Services planning: What location could an emergency vehicle travel to within 5, 10, and 15 minutes.
Truck route support
Now supporting “truck” mode, the Bing Maps Truck Routing API takes into account attributes such as truck size, weight and type of cargo. Not all trucks can travel the same routes as other vehicles, for example:
- Bridges have heights and weight limits.
- Tunnels often have restrictions on flammable or hazardous materials.
- Longer trucks have difficulty making tight turns.
- Highways often have a separate speed limit for trucks.
- Certain trucks may want to avoid roads that have steep gradients.
The example below shows a comparison between an auto isochrone and a truck isochrone with the same start point and travel time.
For more information about Microsoft Bing Maps, or to discuss your use case, contact the Grey Matter team of mapping specialists. Call them direct on +44 (0)1364 655 133 or email email@example.com
Contact Grey Matter
If you have any questions or want some extra information, complete the form below and one of the team will be in touch ASAP. If you have a specific use case, please let us know and we'll help you find the right solution faster.
Learn more about Intel oneAPI To help you get to grips with the different Intel oneAPI Toolkits and features, we have teamed up with Intel Technology Partner, Bayncore, to create a series of bitesize videos. Watch these on-demand videos, share...
Continue to develop future-ready, data-centric workloads with the 2022.1 release of the Intel oneAPI Toolkits. The latest release of Intel oneAPI Toolkits is now available with new features and capabilities (over 900 since the 2021.1 release) to help you develop...
From connected logistics to in-store analytics, you can track how your products and assets move through your supply chain – and keep them moving. Whether it’s chip shortages, the Evergreen getting stuck in the Suez Canal or the backlog of...
IoT sensors and devices can make your business smarter, safer and more efficient – but only if you can track, manage and monitor them: Azure IoT Hub makes that easier. The technologies behind IoT have been around for many years,...