JetBrains Developer Survey Findings
Blog|by Leanne Bevan|30 July 2021
For the last five years, JetBrains has conducted a Developer Ecosystem Survey to find out the latest trends in the industry regarding tools, technologies, programming languages and various other aspects of programming.
2021 saw the fifth survey take place with 31,743 developers from 183 countries or regions partaking to help understand the developer community.
- Python is more popular than Java with regards to overall usage, while Java is more popular than Python as the main language
- The top five languages that developers are planning to adopt or migrate to are Go, Kotlin, TypeScript, Python and Rust
- Ruby, Objective-C and Scala have all decreased in popularity over the last five years
- The five fastest-growing languages are Python, TypeScript, Kotlin, SQL and Go
- A majority of the participants (71%) develop for web backend
- Windows still leads the majority for the operating system to develop on as well as to mainly target projects with
- Women are more likely than men to be involved in data analysis, machine learning, and UX/UI design or research
- Women are less likely than men to be involved in infrastructure development and DevOps, system administration, or deployment
Read the full report here.
What do you think of the results? Do you agree, did anything surprise you? Tweet us @GreyMatter_News or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find out more
If you’re looking to get free trials, pricing or licensing advice for JetBrains or any other developer solutions, please contact us: email email@example.com or call +44 (0) 1364 654 100.
Contact Grey Matter
If you have any questions or want some extra information, complete the form below and one of the team will be in touch ASAP. If you have a specific use case, please let us know and we'll help you find the right solution faster.
[ON-DEMAND WEBINAR] Microsoft Do More With Less: Explained
Mon 10 April 2023
This webinar is available to watch on-demand until 10 April 2023.
New UI enhancements in IntelliJ IDEA 2023.1
Find out what's new with JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA 2023.1.
[WEBINAR] Cyber Security Matters: Managed Detection Services
Tue 25 April 2023 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm BST
In this webinar, you will get an insight into what it would take from both an investment and operational point of view to create your own SOC and effectively how we have multiple offerings that can offer a better cost and a varying array of capabilities.
Acronis enhances security offerings with Intel® TDT technology
Acronis, a global leader in cyber protection, today announced the enhancement of its security defence against advanced fileless attacks using Intel® Threat Detection Technology (Intel® TDT) leveraging the Intel® integrated GPU to offload memory scanning operations from the CPU.