Acronis Cyberthreats Report 2022
Blog|by Leanne Bevan|25 August 2022
Acronis has created a report that represents a global outlook and is based on over 650,000 unique endpoints distributed around the world.
The main focus is on threats to Windows operating systems, as they are much more prevalent when compared with macOS. Acronis will see how the situation develops and may include data on macOS threats in the next report, as there has been a recent spike in these threats.
This report covers the threat landscape, as encountered by our sensors and analysts during the second half of 2021.
Check out the findings for the first half of 2021 in the Acronis Cyberthreats Report: Mid-year 2021.
The top five numbers of H2 2021
- The most attacked countries by malware in Q3 2021 were the U.S., Germany, and Canada.
- 376,000 URLs were blocked on the endpoint by Acronis in October alone.
- Blocked phishing emails increased by 23% and blocked malware emails increased by 40% from Q2 to Q3, 2021.
- Damages from ransomware are expected to be more than $20 billion U.S. by the end of 2021.
- Only 20% of companies reported that they didn’t get attacked — as opposed to 32% last year, as attacks are increasing in frequency.
Among the cyber security trends Acronis saw in H2 2021
- Ransomware continues to be the number one threat to big and medium businesses, including government, healthcare, and other critical organisations.
- MSPs are under attack, and liability questions have been raised.
- Vulnerabilities are being widely exploited.
- Linux and macOS have been getting more and more attention from cybercriminals.
What you will find in this report
- Top security/threat trends we observed in H2 2021.
- Why do we see more and more threats to cryptocurrencies?
- Why MSPs and alternative operating systems are increasingly under threat.
- General malware statistics and key families reviewed.
- Ransomware statistics with a deep-dive analysis of the most dangerous threats.
- Which vulnerabilities contribute to the success of attacks.
- Acronis' security recommendations and threat forecast for 2022.
Read the report
You can read the report in full here!
Find out more about Acronis
Grey Matter is an Acronis Gold Partner. Thanks to our accredited cyber security specialist, we can provide demos, free trials, and technical and licensing advice. Fill in the form below to book a consultation with our specialist.
Contact Grey Matter
If you have any questions or want some extra information, complete the form below and one of the team will be in touch ASAP. If you have a specific use case, please let us know and we'll help you find the right solution faster.
October is Cyber Security Awareness Month. We’re here to help you become more aware of cyber threats and help you and your employees become more cyber smart. The National Cybersecurity Alliance has announced that the theme for 2022 is “See...
The fourth and final Cyber Security Awareness Month blog in the series looks at protecting your business from phishing and educating staff.
In our third blog in the Cyber Security Awareness Month series, we take a look at the importance of updating software and patch management.
In the second blog of our Cyber Security Awareness Month series, we look at the importance of using strong passwords and a management tool.