Windows 11 release date 5 October
News|31 August 2021
Microsoft has announced that the release date for Windows 11 is 5 October 2021. From this date, Microsoft will roll out a free upgrade to Windows 11 to eligible Windows 10 PCs and make available for purchase PCs pre-loaded with Windows 11.
Highlights from the release
• A new fresh look for a more intuitive user experience.
• Updated Start function that pulls your recent files no matter what device you were last viewing them on.
• New features like Snap Layouts, Snap Groups and Desktops make it easier for you to customise your screen layouts and multitask.
• Microsoft Teams is integrated into the taskbar for more streamlined communication.
• Widgets provide a faster way for you to access the information you care about, powered by AI.
• New accessibility improvements including sound schemes, colour schemes to make content easier to see, redesigned Closed Caption themes, Voice Typing, and more. Both Microsoft and partner assistive technologies can work with applications like Outlook hosted in the cloud, in Azure Virtual Desktop.
The outlook for developers
• A new and improved Microsoft Store making it easier to search and discover apps. Through a collaboration with Amazon and Intel, Microsoft is continuing to bring Android Apps to Windows 11 and the store.
• New developer tools will better support native and web app development.
• There is dedicated support to make sure that your applications continue to work on Windows 11. App Assure helps customers with 150 or more users fix any app issues at no additional cost. Test Base for Microsoft 365 also allows you to test business-critical applications for compatibility with Windows 11.
See our previous news item for a compilation of useful links including Business FAQs and What Windows 11 Means for Developers.
Talk to us about Windows 11
If you’d like to find out more about the opportunities that Windows 11 presents for you, join us at ISV Partner Day this October where we will be hosting a session following the 5 October release. A speaker from Microsoft will be answering your questions on how you can update your existing apps and create brand new experiences with the Windows App SDK.
Contact Grey Matter
If you have any questions or want some extra information, complete the form below and one of the team will be in touch ASAP. If you have a specific use case, please let us know and we'll help you find the right solution faster.
Google is ending its Cloud IoT Core managed service on August 16 2023, leaving users with one year to find an alternative solution. What does this mean for your business? Once Google Cloud Iot Core service reaches end of life,...