Historic Data Breach: 26 Billion Records Leaked
News|by Leanne Bevan|23 January 2024
Has your data been breached?
Bob Dyachenko, a cyber security researcher and owner at SecurityDiscovery.com, together with the Cybernews team, has discovered billions of exposed records on an open instance. Unfortunately, the owner is unlikely ever to be identified.
This is thought to be one of the biggest data breaches to date.
The impact of this massive data breach could be unprecedented. Since many people reuse usernames and passwords, malicious actors could embark on a surge of credential-stuffing attacks.
Read more about the breach in this Cybernews article.
What does the breach mean for you?
First of all, change your password for all the affected sites mentioned above. As soon as possible. And keep your eye out for any suspicious behaviour.
You can check if your data was exposed in historic data breaches using the Cybernews data leak checker.
We’ll keep updating this blog with more information as and when we learn more.
Our cyber security recommendations
To protect your data going forward, we recommend you do the following both as an individual and as a business:
- Invest in a secure password manager to collate and create all your passwords securely – at Grey Matter, we offer Passwordstate, Keeper, and OnePassword.
- Use multi-factor authentication (MFA) to make it harder for hackers to get to your information – get in touch with us to discuss our options – Microsoft, ESET, and Sophos.
- Implement comprehensive cyber security awareness training to train staff on how to look out for phishing, password best practices, and more – at Grey Matter, we offer KnowBe4.
- Get a pen test and/or cyber security health check to see how secure your current infrastructure is – we can arrange a call with our partner Secure Impact to discuss these services further with you.
- Implement other security solutions you should have in place for multi-layered protection – endpoint security, patch management, and other security software.
Our team of cyber security solutions specialists are here to support you. Fill in the form now to arrange a consultation now.
Contact Grey Matter
If you have any questions or want some extra information, complete the form below and one of the team will be in touch ASAP. If you have a specific use case, please let us know and we'll help you find the right solution faster.
Since 2023, AI has been everywhere. And many are seeing it as a great tool for improving productivity which many businesses need for improved efficiency to manage high workloads. Adobe has now developed its own AI tool, AI Assistant, currently...
Watch this webinar recording, “Beyond password protection: document security with Acrobat Pro”, hosted by our partner Adobe to learn the various ways Adobe Acrobat Pro and Microsoft can help you keep your PDFs and their sensitive information safe. In the...
With Microsoft Maps, retail businesses can obtain accurate location data, generate new insights, and optimize their logistics operations.
Fri 15 March 2024 9:30 am - 2:00 pm GMT
Get ready to flex your strategic minds and sharpen your cyber security defences at an exclusive event hosted by Grey Matter and ESET. Join us for an afternoon of insightful learning and exhilarating gaming as we explore the powerful synergy...